Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Diary of my first Pregnancy Part 5 - Early Signs of Pregnancy & Part and Parcel of my Pregnancy Journey



Suspect that you might be pregnant? You might just be right!

Here's my personal experience to share with all of you!

Thought I will experience morning sickness or nausea (which doesn't only happen in the morning, but can also actually happen in the afternoon and night!), or feel queasy and may end up vomiting all day long which is usually what MOST pregnant mummies experience during their first trimester and also what some of my personal friends experienced and end up going to the hospital frequently to be on drips due to dehydration. But NOPE! I did not experience it at all throughout my entire pregnancy! (Truly Thank God!!)

In fact, I did not have any tell tale signs of early pregnancy at all! I was even hitting the gyms, going for sauna and Jacuzzi sessions, exercising a whole lots and running all over the place when I was apparently pregnant but didn't know about it til I was about 8weeks pregnant! So thankfully my baby was fine despite me exercising so much and over exerting myself, jumping around alot and even being in the hot water jacuzzi and sauna which was apparently very bad for the fetus and might even endanger it!






I was also driving for long hours as a UBER driver for about 2months til I found out I was pregnant and my parents told me to stop driving to be safe!

I just had an instinct somehow that I might just be pregnant and so I got a pregnancy test kit and got myself tested before I headed to Korea for my holiday! And was pleasantly surprised that I was right!

Women's instinct and sixth sense are very accurate! Trust them!

Adding on, here are what I experienced and the changes I had with my body during my pregnancy.

1) Sciatica. It refers to back pain caused by a problem with the sciatic nerve. This is a large nerve that runs from the lower back down the back of each leg. When something injures or puts pressure on the sciatic nerve, it can cause pain in the lower back that spreads to the hip, buttocks, and leg. So apparently my growing baby bump was pressing onto my sciatic nerve and I suffered really really bad backaches as well as pain on my left hip, buttocks and leg. Like seriously, extremely pain! It was so painful I had problem walking, getting out of bed and even turning in bed! There was one night it was soooo painful I ended up crying as I wanted to go to the toilet badly but couldnt get out of bed because it was just too painful and I almost pee on myself! Had to get my hubby to help me up! At times I had to get my hubby to help massage my back and hip, and every single spot he press or rub against is aching! No joke!

2) Bad skin. And I really mean VERY BAD skin. I had major acne outbreaks ALL OVER my face and body! My neck, chest, back, boobs, face, everywhere~ My gosh! Its was worse than my puberty period! My hormones were just going crazy!! People told me it would probably just last through my first trimester and thereafter my skin would be beautiful and glowing. And I tell you, Its NOT true! At least its not true for me! I do know some expectant mummies have really nice glowing beautiful skin during their pregnancy. Lucky them. But it was the case for me. I had outbreaks throughout my entire pregnancy til after my confinement! It was a period of my life where I probably took the least amount of photos because my skin was just really bad. Acne, dark pigmentation, dull skin. My gosh. I don't even want to think back about it! Its a total nightmare! And there is just NO cure for it! I tried all sorts of facial skin care products and none worked! I ended up just giving up and stopped applying anything as I feel like I am wasting my skincare products and I even felt like normal water and cleanser was actually better than smacking on any skincare products at all! I couldnt even take any medication for my hormones to help with the acne as it would not be good for my baby and so I just had to endure through it all and relied heavily on make up if I have to go out and photoshop or photo editing apps just so I dont look too scary!

3) Lethargy. Feel tired everyday, all day. Especially during my first trimester and later part of my third trimester. Just keep wanting to sleep! I was sleeping close to 12 hours everyday! On certain days I even had to take naps.

4) Bad memory. Or what some people refer to as Pregnancy Brain! Like seriously, it felt like we were passing on toooo much of our own brain cells to our babies which cause us to be really forgetful or become a little silly! No joke! I felt a little stupid/silly during my pregnancy cause I kept forgetting things, brain just couldn't process certain simple information and it will take me awhile to understand things. AND this didn't just happen to me. Cause it seems my husband was going through the same when I was pregnant! Like seriously I felt like punching him at times! Haha!

5) Insomnia. Had trouble getting to sleep at times despite feeling tired and it makes me feel super frustrated!! I would toss and turn in bed a lot trying to find the right or most comfortable position to sleep cause of the baby bump and body aches. Plus every little sound would disturb my sleep real bad, and this causes me to quarrel with my hubby as he would snore and grind his teeth at night and it was really affecting me and my sleep really badly. He ended up having to sleep on the floor with a mattress just so that he would not snore right next to my ears and not kick me and also its for me to be able to move around a lot more in bed to find a comfortable position to sleep! (Thanks hubby for the sacrifices you made just to make me feel more comfortable and have better sleep)

6) Frequent urination. Like really VERY frequently. I had problems holding my bladder especially if I was coughing or sneeze, my pee might just escape from my bladder involuntarily and I really hated it! I had to keep waking up in the middle of the night to go pee as well and it really disturbed my quality of sleep. Even when we are out shopping I would go to pee at least 5 times in a short span of 2hours. It was really a pain in the ass! Reason for this was because my growing womb was pressing on my bladder! And you can really feel it! Especially after 20weeks, you can literally feel your little one inside kicking you and at times when they kick near your bladder you can feel like your bladder was gonna burst and you need to go pee immediately! Legit!

7) Food Cravings. My husband was so thankful I didn't have much food cravings throughout my pregnancy. Only occasional ones, plus the food I craved were manageable and can be easily found! Lucky him! Haha! Also my food cravings were not so severe that I needed to have the food immediately. So far I could wait like a few days to have it satisfied. There was just this one night where I suddenly craved yoghurt and was in a bad mood and showing tantrum at home because of it and my husband had to quickly rush out to the nearest supermarket to get them for me. Just ONCE!

8) Edema / Swollen Feet. Normal swelling, which is also called edema, is experienced in the hands, face, legs, ankles, and feet. This extra retention of fluid is needed to soften the body, which enables it to expand as the baby develops. Extra fluid also helps prepare the pelvic joints and tissues to open for delivery. Thankfully I only experience this towards the last stage of my pregnancy. My feets, ankle, legs, face and even my hands were swollen due to the water retention for a couple of days. Especially when I dont drink enough water, stand too long, sit too long, and dont get enough rest. Some friends taught me to drink red bean water and it really helped with the water retention problem! After the 2nd or 3rd day the swelling really subsided! Its really simple to prepare! Simply buy some red beans from the grocery store or supermarts. Boil some water and pour into a thermal flask and put in about 2 tablespoons of red beans and leave it for half an hour. Do not shake as it will cause the water to be really cloudy and murky. Simply drink it straight from the thermal flask or pour the water out into a cup and just drink the water. Red bean is known to help with water retention and I understand that some actresses drinks this quite frequently to prevent water retention and swollen faces. Hope it works for you too!



Other then the above mentioned, I was still living my life normally, going out with friends, went traveling to Korea, Penang and JB, was still jumping around and walking around ALOT. Eating normally most of the time, except til I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and had to control my diet and sugar intake. Only food I had to avoid were seafood such as crab and shellfishes, raw food, halfboiled eggs, anything with scrimps in them. Although I still cheated a few times and had a piece or two of sashimi and halfboiled eggs.

Also during my last stage of pregnancy I had a coconut every week as people mentioned to me that it would be good for my baby and that they would come out cleaner at birth, and so I had it and I guess I might have to agree with them on that! My baby indeed came out nice and clean and the midwives just had to clean up the blood a little and she was already nice and clean and ready for me to carry!

I hope the above information would be helpful and insightful for new first time expectant mummies who have no clue what to expect and who might happen to chance upon my blog and be reading this! It can be quite stressful when you dont know what to expect and feeling fearful when you experience certain changes with your body. But rest assured that you are fine!! Every mothers go through a different pregnancy experience. And every pregnancy is different even for the same mother! So dont be too surprise if you dont have the same experience as I do, or dont have the same experience as what your friends, siblings or relatives may have. Listen to your own body. If you feel unsure about anything, try to google your symptoms or ask around. You dont have to trust or listen to every advice or information you hear or find. Ultimately, you may also call in or check in with your gynae to be sure.

If you find any bleeding or extreme pain that are out of the norm, PLEASE go to the hospital to have yourself checked! Cause that would obviously not be a good sign!

Meanwhile, I wish all you expectant mummies a smooth pregnancy and delivery!! And Congratulations! Welcome to motherhood!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails