Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Diary of my first pregnancy Part 2 - Diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes

24aug2018, My 25weeks baby bump!

18sep2018, My 29 weeks bump! entering 3rd trimester~ getting heavier and baby J is kicking more and more vigorously~ 

Did the OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test) & GD (Gestational Diabetes) test at 29weeks pregnant on 18sep2018, and I was sooooo scared as I had to fast overnight and draw 3 times of blood at every 1 hour interval~ And I must say, the bottle of Glucose drink that we were forced to finish up after the first blood draw was just plain disgusting! It was soooooo gross I almost puked it out halfway through and was really struggling to finish it. I was told I cannot vomit it out if not I will have to repeat the whole test all over again and I really do not wish to do that! Trust me I have a sweet tooth and never thought that I would taste something so sweet and so bad it makes me want to vomit ever! I was pretty confident I would not have an issue drinking it since I love sweet drinks such as redbull! But really this is legit disgusting!

18sep2018 at 29weeks 2 days! These were taken when you were sleeping in my tummy~ Even your sleeping position is just like mummy with hands clapped together on the side of your head! Too cute! Grandma says you have big feets! Just like mummy too~ Weighing at 1.43kgs now~ You are growing well with your size in the 50th percentile~

Anyway, on the 19sep2018, one day after the test, I received a phone call from the hospital to tell me about my results and I was devastated. I failed he OGTT and was officially diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. Sigh!

On 24sep2018, I went for a one day program to see a dietitian to educate me on Gestational Diabetes and how I should manage my diet to control my blood sugar and sugar intake to ensure that my baby would not be overweight or have any health issues. I also had to undergo more blood draws and was taught how to prick my finger to test my blood sugar using the Blood Glucose Monitoring Device. 7 pricks a day!! 1 first thing when i wake up before I have breakfast, 1 at 2hours after breakfast, 1 before lunch, 1 at 2hours after lunch, 1 before dinner, 1 2 hours after dinner and 1 before I go to sleep. I had to spread out my meals into 5 different meals (Breakfast, tea break, lunch, teabreak, dinner, supper) and have smaller portions per meal.

Gosh it was really difficult!! I had to monitor the timing and ensure I have my meals on time, prick my finger to test my blood sugar on time and couldnt eat too much at one meal and force myself to have more meals just so that my blood sugar test would be more accurate. And every session to prick was a session I dreaded! People tell me it would get better after each prick and that I would not feel pain after a few times. But they LIED! The pain did not go away or become lesser. I still felt pain everytime I prick myself an in fact I felt that it gets more pain after every prick, especially when I had to prick the same finger again during the day.

The first time I pricked myself! (Previous prick was done by the nurse as I didnt dare to do it initially.)
The meal I was served during the one day program! All so healthy~ Oh my gosh!

The Glucose Monitoring device, blood glucose test strip and the safety lancet to prick myself

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails